The last weekend of July is always when Indianola has their National Balloon Classic. Tons of hot air balloonists come from around the country to compete in the hot air balloon races and competitions. They take off twice a day each day; early in the morning and in the evening. The morning flight is when they race, trying to be the first balloon to land the closest to a target. The evening flight is more for show when lots of people head out to the balloon field to watch the pretty balloons. They do some other funny competitions like trying to knock over a porta-potty with their basket. (I'm pretty sure it was a clean, unused one-let's hope!!) Kyle and I headed out to watch on Wednesday last week. It was SO gorgeous outside-when the sun went down I almost wanted a sweatshirt. It felt so nice after it being so horribly hot the last few weeks. We were pretty excited when we got there and were able to get in for free thanks to some tickets my parents gave us. Last year, they had a hot air balloon land in their yard and the pilots mailed them free tickets to the Classic for this year. My parents weren't going to use them so they passed them on to us-score! So we got some kettle corn and hunkered down in our lawn chairs to check out the balloons. While we were there, we somehow managed to run into some friends amongst the thousands of people that were there! So we got to sit and talk with Stacy and Joe and their daughter Norah. I was really thankful for that because they are moving to Iowa City next week! We stayed for the Night Glow-it had been years since I had seen that. They also had a band that played while you sat and although there isn't a lot of action going on-it's nice to just get outside and spend time with some friends! Here's a video of the Night Glow!
Another special thing from last week was visiting with Kally and Liana! They were home for the weekend and came over on Monday. I had a hard time putting Liana down! And Belle got to have her first experience with a baby. I was really nervous just because I didn't know how she would react. It's funny though how dogs just seem to know that a baby is special and she was very calm but really curious about her-kept trying to lick her little feet!
This past weekend we helped my aunt Kathy celebrate her retirement with a picnic at Yellow Banks National Park in Pleasant Hill. None of us had ever been there before and I have to say it was really nice! Kathy made some delicious cupcakes and mini-pies. My favorite was the margarita cupcakes that have margarita mix in them-I got the recipe and will have to make them sometime soon!
Other than that we had a fairly quiet week and weekend! I am SO looking forward to the Iowa State Fair that starts on Thursday!! :) I bet you can guess what I will be writing about next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment